Saturday, January 16, 2010

Teaching

So school opened monday, January 10th. I was expecting to start teaching Monday January 10. As of yesterday, Friday, 20 of the 90 or so form 3 students had arrived to school. On of my classes only had 6 of the 32 students. Once all the students arrive, it'll be a bit tough. I only count 18 desks in the room. I gave them a quiz. The mean was a 58, with the lowest score being a 21. The highest was a 95! What that means...I'm going to have a tough year teaching Form 3 math and physics, when the students don't understand Form 1 physics. I will make so. All of my students seem very nice and I am really excited to have the students back and to be starting work!

Slowly, I am learning the school rules, learning what is expected of me, and learning the school schedule. Some of the more important school rules, as far as I can gather are: polish your shoes everyday, wash your shirt. Being on time isn't quite as important as polished shoes. I feel like an mshamba (redneck) because I haven't polished my shoes since I've been here. I need to get some shoe polish. I have, right now, 21 periods a week, but, according to the schedule, I am only teaching one of the streams physics, and I think I am supposed to be teaching all of Form 3 physics. So, when that glitch is fixed, I will be teaching 27 periods, which is a good amount. Enough to keep me busy without stressing me out.

So, the main purpose of this purpose was to give you my friend Andrew's blog. http://andrewshooktoafrica.blogspot.com Andrew is the closest volunteer to me and has also posted pictures on his blog! The last 5 or 6 are of my site, so you can see the view from my yard. Good news: I will be getting a camera sooner than expected, so hopefullly will be able to start posting pictures. Enjoy the pictures. Maybe next post, i'll be able to post some of my own!



Next week, I am actually going to start teaching (with or without students)

No comments:

Post a Comment