Saturday, January 23, 2010

Men with Fish

Story #1 - So I was on the daladala today heading into Tukuyu. I was standing because there were no seats left. A man in the front, sitting next to the driver, started talking to me. By talking, I really mean, yelling across the dala so that I could hear him. I told him my name was Megan (my Tanzanian alias when I don't want to give people my real name) and that I was coming from Kyela (where I say I teach when I don't want people to know where I live) and we went through all the formalities of introductions in Tanzania- still yelling across the dala. He was a nice guy. We had a good conversation. When I went to get off the dala he was like "oh wait, let me give you a fish." At first, I couldn't really connect the Swahili words together and asked him to repeat it. "Let me give you a fish. Do you eat fish?" Afraid that taking a fish from a Tanzanian is the same as accepting a marriage proposal, I politely denied. But I thought it was funnny, in America, would you ever offer to give a random stranger a fish? Ps- the fish here aren't your nice slabs of salmon we see in the States. It's a dried, whole fish - eyes and all, tons of bones, and not very yummy. It's like saying "hey, you're me new friend, let me give you a can of sardines". That's pretty normal here. It made me laugh.

Story #2: Last night I went down to the basketball court at school because I heard people bouncing a ball and I was bored. So there were 5 guys just shooting around. Me, making 6 people, allowed them to play a 3 on 3 game, so they invited me to play. I said yes. So imagine this picture: 5 Tanzanian dudes and 1 white girl. Nobody took me seriously. We played seven games of seven. My team won 5 of them. I scored 3-6 of the points in every game. By the end, one of the guys on the other team just kept yelling, "don't let the mzungu get a basket". It was funny because they were so shocked that a white GIRL could beat them at basketball. It was funny and tt was a little of an ego boost too. It was a lot of fun and it was great to get some exercise.

So enough of the stories, and some of the facts. I actually started teaching this past week. A lot more students have showed up, but still not all. I am supposed to have 3 streams of math and 1 stream of physics. Math is going great. The students are starting to be a little more willing to answer m questions, and more importantly are starting to ask their own questions once in a while, which is good. Like I said, I normally teach 3 streams, IIIA, IIIB, and IIIC. On Wednesday, I walked into my IIIC class and there were no desks or charis or students. So I went to the second master and asked what the heck happened to my class. He had no idea. So I went to the Academic mistress. She said she consolidated the IIIC class into IIIA and IIIB but "just for this week" because there still weren't a lot of students in the classes.. WHAT! It's Wednesday! Is it really worth emptying out an entire classroom for 2 days. Apparently. Anyways, that wouldn't have been too big of a deal, but all three classes were at different lessons. So I had to go back and review starting from the second lesson. But, hopefully the students understand well, since many of them were taught the same lesson more that once.

So that's about it. Still no pictures, although I do have a camera. Hopefully next post. But no guarantees. Hope everyone is enjoying the snow and the cold. Go sledding and build a snowman for me!

1 comment:

  1. I like hearing the stories "Megan", please take my fish? it's the freshest.

    ReplyDelete