Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas. New Years.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone! My first holiday season away from home was very nice. I went to Mbeya town to spend some time with some of the volunteers from that area, and the kid's that they work with. There was a Christmas tree, stockings, we sang Christmas carols, and Christmas morning the kids got to open up presents. It even rained all day so the "weather outside (was) dreary)". We stuck around Mbeya for a few days after that, waiting for banks to open.

I returned to site for New Years. Andrew(the volunteer who lives closest to me) and I cooked brownies (and ate them all in one sitting!) and bean burgers, watched 28 Days Later, played cards, then I went to bed at about 12:02. It was a crazy evening.

I start teaching next Monday. My mkuu has been in Dar for the majority of the break so I still do not know my schedule or my responsibilities as a "class master" and "dorm headmistress". I still have a week, I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've written and typed up my pre-class exams, but just asked, and to print the tests and then photocopy enough for all the students will be about the equivalent of $25, 1/8 of my monthly living allowance. I'll have to ask my headmistress what to do.

Things at site are going really well. I've made several friends (two of whom I can't walk by without giving them a high-five, low-five combo). That's pretty much all I have for now. Things have been pretty uneventful and I've been adjusting to my site more and more everyday. Give me a week, once school starts and students return, and I'll have a lot more to say, I am sure.

I hope everyone had just as a relaxing holiday season as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment