Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween/Site Announcements.

Dun Dun Dun. So here it is: Where I'll be staying for the next two years:

So, yes. I got my site announcement today! November 26 (I think) I am headed off to the Mbeya region of southwestern Tanzania! I will be about an hour from the Malawi boarder and an hour from Lake Malawi. Apparently the region is relatively cool (YAY) and has some nice mountains surrounding it with tons of fruit, especially bananas! I am going to be teaching at an all girls, boarding school. My house will be located on school property. From what I've been told, it'll be pretty small. One bedroom, a tiny sitting room, a tiny tiny kitchen, and a bathroom. But there is running water and electricity :) This is all hear-say. I'll be relatively close to some of the other PCTs that I am with, so I'm pretty excited about that. One of the is also a physics teacher, so I am hoping to be able to use him as a resource so that I can more successfully teach physics.

Also, there's a little airport in Mbeya, so when everyone comes to visits because, everyone's coming to visit (:, right?), they won't have far to travel from the airport to my modest accomodations.

Everything else is going great. This week will be my last week of teaching until I move to site. It's crazy the change that I've seen in my classes in just 2 weeks of teaching. Many of them have come out of their shells a bit already. I'm excited to have classes for 2 years. It'll be freat to see the kids change in that amount of time.

Then next week we have site visits. Unfortunately we won't be going to our sites, just some random sites. Otherwise, it would be a full day of travel. I'm looking forward to that. After site visits, we head to Dar for a while. Head back to our homestays, take some tests, go back to Dar and then get sworn-in (granted we pass all our tests!) Then off to sites. We're really only half-way done with training, but pretty much all the training is done.

I gave everyone in my family some tootsie rolls today for Halloween and explained how we give away candy on Halloween. They went bezerk over them. They were so excited. It was awesome. Before I left for training this morning, my little sister ran out after me to give me a big hug. It was so cute. I'll miss her when I head out to my site.

I miss you all a ton and hope that everyone is happy and healthy. Give me a call sometime!

And this is to Zach's mom: Thanks for reading the blog! Everyone loves Zach.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Thanks for the comment. Everyone here loves Zach too. Good luck with your teaching and everything over there. And I'll keep reading your blog.
    Zach's Mom (Patti)

    ReplyDelete