Monday, August 17, 2009

Of all the things that can go wrong.

So, my PC application process was not the smoothest process of all, but I managed. I got through it. I was pretty sure all the application headaches were behind me, and I just had to look forward to headaches caused by African heat, dehydration, and malaria. I was prepared for those headaches.

But no. Not quite yet. Passport Application DENIED. DUN Dun dun... and why? Because I sent them the same passport photographs that I used for my personal passport, 5 months ago. You're not supposed to do that. I didn't get that memo. I sent my passport information in last Thursday, I am found this out today. At around 1:00 pm. While I was at work. I am leaving for Tanzania 5 weeks from today and my passport application was denied. Great!

But, ok. I can handle this. I am going to be a Peace Corps volunteer. There will be much more complicated/frustrating situations in the next 2 year than this. So I am talking to the man from the PC that is telling me this. I am obviously concerned, and am listening to him closely. He's giving me the instructions: I need to mail three photos (one for my Visa, because passport and visa photos need to match) to such and such an address, in an envelope, with my name and country of service written on the back, and they need to recieve it by 10am tomorrow. WAIT. WHAT!?! It's 1pm today. I need to finish work, get new photos taken, and make sure that they are in Washington DC in 21 hours. Oh man. Headache.

So FedEx is obviously the way this is going to happen. So I get my 3 2"x2" photographs taken at CVS, then rush over to FedEx with my envelope that contains the photographs, and pounce at the woman at the counter:
Her: "Can I help you" (or something very generic like that)
Me: "YES! I need this envelope to reach Washington DC by 10 am tomorrow. It's really, really, really important. Is that possible? I'm so sorry. I just found out today that this needed to be there tomorrow" And I'm pretty sure I started talking faster and more high pitched as my dialog went on.

But good news. $57 later (for 3 2" photos to be mailed), the kind woman assured me that it would be there in time. Crisis averted. Hopefully. I'll find out tomorrow when I check the tracking number...

Lessons learned:
1-Spend the $7 to get new photos taken at CVS.
2-The passport agency is ridiculous.
3-FedEx is really expensive.
4-My parents are awesome.

But for the good news. Which pretty much made my day good. I got another from Brian. He sent me a memory card with photos of Niger. He looks like he's have a great time, so that was really encouraging and exciting. Pretty soon we'll be under the same African sky. Just really far apart, still.

No comments:

Post a Comment