Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Update.

Before I begin this post, let me update you on the status of my student going to America. After several days, lots of arguing with officials, talking to some lawyers, and silently praising the DMV for their efficiency, we successfully obtained a passport for the students. She has met with people from the embassy, seen a doctor to get health forms filled in, and is all-set to go. So that is really good news, and I am really glad that that process is done and behind me. I will nominate students again next year, but I am not looking forward to going through this process again. All’s well that ends well, right?

It’s been quite a while since I’ve written. I apologize. There are a few reasons that it’s been a long time: firstly is that I have been really busy. The past month and a half have been crazy with getting the kids ready for their final exams, marking, filling in report cards, and seeing the kids off.

Final exams were quite hectic this year. Two weeks before final exams were scheduled, we heard from the Rungwe District Council that we were going to have a district Form III exam, so that all the students and the schools in the district could be marked on their performance. This was really stressful because (a) the students got freaked out about it. (b) there was a topic and a half in the FIII syllabus that I had yet to finish and since I wasn’t writing the test, I couldn’t filter questions from those sections out of the exam. (c) the school didn’t have enough money to finance and carryout the exams…

So after two weeks of running around, trying to finish the syllabus (I almost did it!), and preparing the students for the exams, we did the finals. The FIII physics exam was, as Tanzanian tests go, OK. There were only a few ridiculous questions and I felt that the FIII material on the exam was well covered in class. Most students got C’s – which is between a 40 and a 60 and is a reasonably good grade. The math exam was terrible. It was littered with typos, to the point that many students could not even read the questions, and it was way too long for the allotted time. Students would have needed at least 4 hours to complete it, they were given 2.5 hours, the marking scheme was inaccurate, and most of the material on the exam was FI and FII material, so I really couldn’t gauge how much my kids learned this year…Scores on the math tests ranged from 7-70. I’ll be interested to see the district results. I did the best that I could. It wasn’t perfect. But I can guarantee I will be a better teacher next year. This year was definitely a learning year.

As for next year…we got our period allocations last week during a 7 – hour staff meeting. I am assigned to Form I physics and math and Form III physics and math. I did the math: that is 42 periods per week. If I taught every period, every day, there are 45 periods in the week. Too much. It is because there is only one other physics/math teacher at my school. I believe that this schedule will only last a few weeks until we can get another teacher, but for those few weeks I am going to be swamped! I’ll do what I can, but I may need to drop teaching one of the math classes. Quality over quantity.

But for now, my work is done and I am gearing up for some vacation traveling. I have had a really great few days, preparing to leave. People here are just so great, and the last few days I have had some really great interactions. It just makes me love Tanzania. There’s a guy at the market who makes sambusas (sambusas in English are samossas and are these little meat pies in filo-dough type crust). I don’t buy sabussas all that often but I always talk to the man. The other day he invited my site mate and me to his house for dinner. Unfortunately we had to decline but we’re planning on going at some point. And then the mama at the post office has decided that she needs to call me anytime I get mail to let me know. It’s unnecessary, but a really nice gesture. I brought a piece of fabric to my seamstress to get sewn yesterday and told her that I’d come get it in a month because I was traveling and wasn’t going to be in the area. She offered to sew it by the next day for me…no extra cost.

I now that those are all really little things. But it is the little things in life that matter, right? It’s the little things like being invited to church and a Sunday lunch with one of the fellow teachers. It’s laughing with the fundi about the clothes you want made. It’s greeting people in the street and knowing their name and them knowing your name. It’s bringing bananas as gifts to your neighbors or receiving a mango from one of the girls next door. It’s feeling like you’re becoming part of the community. Maybe it took a year to get there, and I’m sure I’m not there yet…but I am getting there. And it is really great. I am not going to be at my site for about a month, and I am a little sad to be leaving. I am excited too, of course, but I will miss everyone.

Anyways I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that you are staying warm. Being in Africa, in relatively warm weather, eating mangos and pineapples off the trees – it’s hard to believe that it is almost winter and that people at home are dealing with freezing temperatures, snow storms, obnoxious Christmas commercials and overplayed Christmas songs. It doesn’t feel like the Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Kate,

    I have a few questions for you regarding Tanzania as a destination for some recent college grads.

    reply to SpeedingMusic@hotmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I am interested in Science Education in Tanzania and have been collecting some digital resources that might be useful. Some are videos that are loaded onto a DVD for offline viewing. I spent the first half of this year in Iringa teaching Computer Science at Tumaini University. I would like to send you some DVDs to see if you could use them and get some feedback from someone in a secondary school science classroom. Please send me an email if you are interested and I will explain more.
    Thanks
    dkmcintyre@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete